Fayetteville, NC, Traffic Violations and Insurance Attorney
Traffic Violation Defense to Prevent Points
If you are not a habitual speeder or reckless driver, you may not have even heard of the points that can be added to your driving record. These points show up on your driving record and eventually can cause your auto insurance rate to go up — even if you did not submit a claim for an accident. The highway patrol officer may urge you to pay the ticket roadside, but beware of the consequences if you do so.
Paying a ticket is the same as a guilty plea. Points will be added to your driving record.
If you have a traffic violation in North Carolina and you simply ignore the ticket, eventually it will show up on your home state record as either a conviction or a “failure to appear.” If you live in another state and have a traffic violation from North Carolina, I’d be happy to represent you so that you can have the matter cleared up without having to return to our state.
Schedule of Points for Traffic Violations in North Carolina
The driving points awarded for various traffic violations are:
- Five points — Passing a stopped school bus, aggressive driving, reckless driving
- Four points — Hit and run (property damage only), following too closely, driving on wrong side of road, illegal passing, failure to yield right-of-way to pedestrian, failure to yield right-of-way to bicycle, motor scooter or motorcycle
- Three points — Running through stop sign, speeding in excess of 55 miles per hour, failing to yield right-of-way, running through red light, no driver’s license or license expired more than one year, failure to stop for siren, driving through safety zone, no liability insurance, failure to report accident where such report is required, speeding in a school zone in excess of the posted school zone speed limit
- Two points — Failure to properly restrain a child in a restraint or seat belt, all other moving violations
- One point — Littering when it involves the use of a motor vehicle
The points given to a commercial driver for a traffic violation are more serious.
Byrd Is the Word for Traffic Violation Defense — Call 910-678-0966
If you have a traffic violation that could give you excess points so your car insurance skyrockets or you suffer a driver’s license suspension, I can help. That’s what I do. Call my Fayetteville law office, or contact me online, and we’ll get started on your legal defense.